Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Living More Fresno

My supervisor turned to me today as I was driving her back to the office from a meeting offsite. "I'm aware that your contract is set to end in two weeks, and I want you to know we're working on it. I've emailed our ED and she hasn't responded, but we'll set a time to meet with the grant administrator sometime soon, so hopefully your funding can be continued."

I graciously responded, fully aware that everyone's grants are expiring right now, and we've only received a few new ones.... 
...
I knew all that. I really did. but somehow, the two week mark hadn't clicked yet.
...
At Thanksgiving, one of the only real things I heard was my uncle say his business wasn't great, but it was okay, he hadn't had to lay any one off recently.
... 
Sometimes I think the biggest reason I came back to Fresno was to meet this boy. He's the most stable thing going on in my life right now. Not sure if that's the healthiest place to be in, but I'm happy. He's got a good job, works full time doing computer programming stuff. We're going to his company Christmas party in a week... at Ruth's Chris Steak House. We drive around in his black truck, run errands and visit his parents on the weekend (I bought myself a car finally, too!). He holds me and the world falls into place. 
...
We have a conversation about slowing things down and then walk into a jewelry store that's going out of business. Don't worry y'all, I freaked out and ranted about terrible working practices and blood diamonds and corruption in South Africa. 

1 comment:

Margiegreen said...

Hahaha, I'm so glad Scott has you to teach him why diamonds ARE NOT a girl's best friend.
But I really hope your grant is able to be extended.
And as someone told me this week: there's always Starbucks!
*vomit*